10 Back to School Season Statistics Retailers Can’t Ignore
Back to school season is in full swing! If you’re a retailer this is a great time to sell products geared to back to school shoppers.
We put together a list of important back to school season statistics that retailers can’t (and shouldn’t) ignore:
- Back to school and back to college season spending is estimated to reach $83.6 billion in 2017. 
- $668 is the average spend per household for back to school shoppers. 
- $970 is the average spend per household for back to college shoppers. 
- August accounts for 40% of back to school shopping. 
- 1% plan to shop for back to school related items in department stores. 
- 37% use their mobile phone to look for coupons in-store. 
- 37% more money is spent when dads oversee back to school shopping. 
- 7 out of 10 shoppers plan to purchase a new backpack rather than reusing one they already own. 
- 41% use their mobile phones to price compare in-store 
- 10. 44% say their top back to school splurge item will be shoes. 
Back to school season is a critical time for retailers to grow revenue, especially this year. Shoppers will be eager to purchase items off their back-to-school list.
One last note! Making sure your store is properly merchandised will also help grow sales during the back to school season traffic.